Saturday 17 March 2012

Ahmedabad to Delhi and Vani and Ian’s Sangeet – 16 March


Our transfer to the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel airport in Ahmedabad went fairly smoothly.  Our wake-up call was about 10 minutes late, but they were at our room about 10 minutes early to pick up the bags.  It almost felt like “don’t let the door hit you on the way out”. 

At security, Greg had a thorough search and had some batteries confiscated.  I was upset about my experience in the women’s security check, where I was moved over to the men’s security scanner and then moved back to the women’s line up.  My laptop and all other important carry-on items went through the men’s scanner and were sitting unattended at the scanner exit for at least 10 minutes, or at least I hoped they were sitting there.  It made me very nervous to have my bags out-of-sight.  Once I got through the women’s security scanner, only then was I asked to remove my boots.  So I figured, I’d just get right back in front of the scanner line when I removed my boots.  But other passengers were literally nudging me out of the way, so I gave the pat-down security women a look of desperation and she waved me through.  All this time, my laptop is just sitting unattended at the men’s scanner exit.  Being in a foreign airport, I did not make a fuss, but it was very stressful indeed.  I was reunited with my laptop and all was good.

On the Jet-lite flight, we had to pay for the coffee which was consisted of a ½ cup of hot water with a convenience kit containing 1 instant coffee packet, creamer, sugar, spoon, and napkin.  Yuk!  I couldn’t even drink it.  Well, it seems when the cup is ½ empty, the cup is ½ empty… just before we took off, the passenger in front of me abruptly reclined his seat and it smashed right into my knee (and aren’t seats supposed to be in the upright position during take-off?).  So, I hoped this would be the one and only challenging flight.  All else went very smoothly and before you could wink, we were in Delhi.

Sandeep Sing Minhas, the Assistant Manager and Altaf, the Driver from Worldwide Adventures India were there to pick us up at this very impressive Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi.  Although it was rush hour when we arrived, they sailed through traffic and we were at our hotel, The Uppal in no time.  After settling into our room, Greg took off for his meeting at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (India’s premiere engineering school) and I caught up on blogging, e-mails and other writing.

We hired a hotel car and driver to get us to Vani and Ian’s Sangeet (an evening of music, dancing and fun to celebrate the wedding).  Sudish, our Driver waited patiently while we enjoyed ourselves at this entertaining and fun party.  Even though we were 20 minutes late, we were the first ones to arrive.  Vani’s Mother greeted us warmly and told us people were always late and called it “Indian Time”.  Note to self; there really is a thing called Indian Time, so we Aboriginal Canadians are actually following “Fake Indian Time” back home, haha. 

The party was so much fun and people were very friendly.  The Hotel Vista was decorated beautifully in a purple, gold, and orange colour theme.  There was inside and outside seating, but the dancing performances were held inside.  These dances, performed by family and friends, were choreographed specifically for the wedding and were very polished.  I thought they were traditional dances.  After each dance, the dancers would greet the bride and groom.  The canapés were endless and the buffet dinner was a palate pleaser.  Unfortunately, Greg’s camera ran out of batteries just when Ian got up to dance with Vani.  All in all, it was an excellent evening indeed and we are looking forward to the wedding ceremony tomorrow.
Vani and Ian - aren't they such a gorgeous couple?

No comments:

Post a Comment